gfxgfx

logo
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Victory Motorcycle Solutions

Victory Motorcycle Solutions®

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

[img width= height=]http://www.cyclesolutions.net/images/vic-edge-panoramic.jpg[/img]

gfx gfx
gfx
29173 Posts in 4097 Topics by 4679 Members - Latest Member: marriedlou September 21, 2014, 03:06:12 AM
gfx* [Home]  [Help]  [Search]  [Media]  [Login]  [Register]  gfx
gfx
Victory Motorcycle Solutions  |  Victory Solutions  |  Victory Technical Reference (Moderator: Keg Moderator)  |  Kingpin/Vegas Front and Rear Brake Pad Replacement
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kingpin/Vegas Front and Rear Brake Pad Replacement  (Read 4978 times)

Offline KingpinJim

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Victory Sensei
  • it's the journey, not the destination
    • View Profile
    • Victory Motorcycle Solutions
Kingpin/Vegas Front and Rear Brake Pad Replacement
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:06:06 PM »

As always, if you have any questions or need tips on doing pad replacement or simply flushing the brake fluid, please ask. We will do our best to help and/or point you in the right direction.  For all brake work, I suggest using a Vacume Bleeder. The only problem you may encounter with using the vacume bleeder is air leaking past the bleeder. If this occurs, you can use teflon tape on the bleeder valve threads. Then simply double check that you got all air out of the line by doing the manual bleed method with one or two pumps. Simple stuff. Also suggest getting the Motul brake fluid.

Buy it here:
http://www.cyclesolutions.net/index.php?option=com_ridegear&sku=F-17898&productCategory=street-bikes%20%3E%20general%20%3E%20Brake%20Fluid

Click on the links for a larger view of the manual page.

Front Brake Pad Replacement
http://www.kingpincruisers.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/frontBrakePadReplace.JPG

Rear Brake Pad Replacement
http://www.kingpincruisers.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/rearBrakePadReplacePage1.JPG

http://www.kingpincruisers.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/rearBrakePadReplacePage2.JPG

« on: August 23, 2005, 10:06:06 PM »

Offline dsneill

• Victory Disciple
  • If I can't take it with me...I'm not go'in
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dsneill@ameritech.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kingpin/Vegas Front and Rear Brake Pad Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
Jim, Where does one find a "pin punch"?  or will anything of the correct size suffice?
Starbuck-VMC/IVR
USN 78-82 USS White Plains
2011 Cross Country
2004 KP Solar Red -sold
Stage I Kit
Kuryakyn iso grips
Mastiff Pigsticker

Offline KingpinJim

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:09:41 PM »
Jim, Where does one find a "pin punch"?  or will anything of the correct size suffice?

I bought mine at the local hardware store. They come in all diameter sizes. I think it costs $2.

Offline A.J.E.

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 04:00:11 AM »
;) GOT MINE AT SEARS, SET CAME WITH 5 SIZES, PROBALY PAID TO MUCH BUT, WILL NEVER NEED ONE!!!

Offline fast eddie

• Victory Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 09:35:19 AM »
Do it your self!
It cost me $165.00 to have my rear pads replaced at 4000 miles hmmm.
We the willing, following the unknowing are doing the impossible. We have done so much for so long with so little that we are now able to do anything with nothing

Offline KingpinJim

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 06:22:02 PM »
Do it your self!
It cost me $165.00 to have my rear pads replaced at 4000 miles hmmm.

Mega ouch!  Yes, definitely do it yourself. You will always know you will treat your baby better than any service department, plus you will do it right and for cheap. If you have any questions, this is the place to ask and we can step you through the process.

You can get the pads for $70 (front and rear). Plus while you are swapping out the pads, go ahead and bleed out the brake fluid and replace with some Motul 600 fluid. It is amazing the difference and improved braking. Add in some stainless steel brake lines and you have the best brakes possible for the Kingpin.

I recently set us up to get a club discount on some brake products at http://www.CycleBrakes.com. Just tell them you want the KingpinCruisers.net club discount when you place your order.

Here is the link to the thread on the ebc brake pads for the Kingpin.

http://www.kingpincruisers.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,38/expv,/topic,168.0/

Offline Kingpintex

• Victory VIP Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 02:48:10 PM »
Replaced the pads today on my KP, took less than 15 minutes.  I followed the instructions except I didn't bleed off the fluid.  Prior to pulling out the old pads I took a small plier (Channel Locks) and squeezed the pistons back.  It is easy and not messy.  Cleaned the area with brake cleaner, slipped in the new pads,plate, pins and keys and pumped the brakes a couple of times and your done.
Riding a motorcycle is fun......make everyday a fun day, you only have so many!

Offline Vagabond

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 07:33:39 AM »
Since it can take as little as 15 minutes, I can gather you don't have to remove the wheel to replace the break pads?  Thanks.

Ride safe,
Vagabond
Vagabond

’02 Black Indian Chief
'05 Black and Silver Victory Kingpin

Ride what you like, like what you ride

Offline Nick Da Fringe

• Victory Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Nick's Web Site
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »
Nope, no wheel removal. Hardest part is getting the retainer pin back in on the rear brake then lining up the hole in the pin for the cotter pin - at least it is for me, lol

Nick
2006 Victory Kingpin Deluxe - Indy Red
2003 Victory Classic Cruiser Deluxe - Turquoise & White

Ahh, yes !

Offline kwhancock

• Victory Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »
Nope, no wheel removal. Hardest part is getting the retainer pin back in on the rear brake then lining up the hole in the pin for the cotter pin - at least it is for me, lol

Nick

However, removing your left saddle bag can make it a little easier to see and do.
Any day riding is a good day! So shutup and ride!

Blue Demon

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
Figures that this post would bome right after I did my pads.  It took me about 30 mins
to do both front and rear.  I didn't bleed either (that includes brakes and ME).
I basically did it the same as KPTEX.  Channel locks and squeeze the calipers back.
Oh by the way, I have just over 5000 miles on the bike and already had to replace the
brake pads.  I got the Lyndall Z pads, I hope that I can get more miles out of them.

Offline Nick Da Fringe

• Victory Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Nick's Web Site
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »

Nick

However, removing your left saddle bag can make it a little easier to see and do.

Hahaha, yeah - but that takes me twice as long to remove it and put it back on than it does to change the brakes. Laying on my back all contorted and with a few choice swears seems to do the trick in a lot less time, lol.
2006 Victory Kingpin Deluxe - Indy Red
2003 Victory Classic Cruiser Deluxe - Turquoise & White

Ahh, yes !

« on: »

Victory Motorcycle Solutions  |  Victory Solutions  |  Victory Technical Reference (Moderator: Keg Moderator)  |  Kingpin/Vegas Front and Rear Brake Pad Replacement

gfxgfx
gfx gfx